Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Throne Room


The first room to be really focused on was the Master Bathroom. Hmmm, yeah sounds selfish. So what that the boys are sleeping on a mattress on the floor in the 'family room'. We have our own bathroom that we don't have to share with the kids! Ha!

The bathroom started out as the previous owners sewing room.
Yep, it's up past the window!
As a term of our contract, we told them that they could take what they needed when they moved and all the extra stuff we would dispose of. Either by donating it or throwing it away. So this sewing room ended up being FULL of fabric! Like, full up the walls full. Being so overwhelmed with moving and coming to this house that was more packed then I expected, I didn't end up keeping an of the fabric myself. I know, weird. But you have to draw the line somewhere. And since all our belongings were stuffed into one room while we worked on the rest of the house, I couldn't justify keeping loads of fabric that would sit there for years until I decided what to do with it.

So we cleared out the room and bumped out the wall to make the room a bit bigger!


The plan was to at least put a double sink in. I was tired of waiting for Rob to finish brushing his teeth so I could spit my toothpaste out. It starts to really burn!

We used fiverr.com to pay someone $5 to design our space with all our desires.We combined a few fiverr ideas and some pinterest ideas and came up with our own design.

Here's the problem with 3 people (Me, Rob and my Dad) designing one space. Everyone wants something different. So we ended up with a lot in the small bathroom-
Double sink, corner whirlpool bath, walk-in shower that can fit two ;o), and a short wall by the toilet. No problem!

The first major project we worked on after the pipes were ran was to build a deck for the tub to sit on. We built it and "dry fitted" the tub...it didn't fit. So we tore it down and built another one...and a third and final one!
The picture on the right shows the carnage from the second redo

We finally got it in and hooked up the motor and tested it out. We didn't have the drain hooked up yet so we  had to hang a hose out of the second story window and siphoned the water out. But it works!

My dad has always wanted to try a waterproof tile system that he's been seeing in home shows that he goes to. So we started on the Schluter system! It consisted of thin-setting an orange fabric on the wall and sealing EVERY SINGLE SEAM with more expensive orange fabric. But it's waterproof...if we did everything right...


And so we begin the tiling process. We went with subway tile throughout the bathroom and a really complicated design on the tub deck!

We added the brushed nickle fixtures and took a bath that night! We have never owned a tub that I could lie down in and have everything covered with water. My dreams have come true!

3 comments:

  1. The bathroom looked amazing when we were there. You guys did an awesome job of designing and building!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could rent out spa days with this tub! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A dream come true...Yay for you! I would normally be super jealous, but I get to soak in my own on the 26th. And you better believe that's the first thing I'm gonna do too! Probably before we get furniture moved in...hehehe.

    ReplyDelete